To “Change Ignition Coil 2012-2013 Evinrude 40, 50, 60, 90 HP” means to replace or substitute the ignition coil in the Evinrude E-TEC 40 through 90 horsepower outboard motor with a new one. The ignition coil is a crucial component responsible for converting low-voltage electricity into high-voltage current needed to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the engine cylinders. Over time, due to wear and tear or other factors, the ignition coil may become faulty, leading to engine misfires, reduced performance, or difficulty starting the motor. By performing this change, boat owners ensure the efficient functioning of their outboard motor and maintain smooth operations during their waterborne adventures.
The following removal and installation procedures are based on the factory recommended servicing procedures, ensuring the correct and efficient replacement of the ignition coil.
Ignition Coil Removal
- Carefully disconnect the spark plug lead from the ignition coil and then unplug the electrical connector attached to the coil.
- Remove the two screws holding the ignition coil in place.
- Pay attention not to misplace the rubber washers positioned between the coil and the bracket.
Ignition Coil Installation
- Take one rubber washer and place it on each screw, then insert the screws through the holes in the ignition coil.
- Position the remaining rubber washers between the ignition coil and the bracket.
- Install the ignition coil onto the bracket and tighten the screws to a torque of 60 to 84 in. lb. (7 to 9.5 N·m) using an appropriate tool.
- Reconnect the spark plug lead to the ignition coil and then plug in the electrical connector securely.
Symptoms of a Bad Ignition Coil
When an Evinrude E-TEC motor’s ignition coil is malfunctioning, several symptoms may arise, indicating potential issues. The most common signs of a bad ignition coil include engine misfires or rough idling, reduced engine power and performance, difficulty starting the motor, frequent stalling, and increased fuel consumption. Additionally, a warning may sound, signaling a problem with the engine’s ignition system. If any of these symptoms are observed, it is essential to address the issue promptly to avoid further damage to the engine and to maintain the motor’s optimal performance.
A faulty ignition coil in an Evinrude E-TEC motor can manifest in various ways, such as engine misfires, reduced power, and starting problems. Other symptoms may include rough idling, stalling, increased fuel consumption, and the Check Engine light coming on. Promptly addressing these issues is crucial to prevent further damage to the engine and ensure the motor operates at its best.