How to get your website to the top of Google refers to the way in which someone goes about getting a web page to reach the top of search results or achieve number one position in the list of results returned by the search engine Google.
There are two ways to rank your site first for queries in Google. You can obtain a first page listing using Google paid search ads or rank #1 in Google’s organic search results.
You can pay Google to get on the top of paid search results and only fork out money when someone clicks to visit your website. It’s a guaranteed way to bag No. 1 position and outrank your competitors.
Not everyone can pay their way to the top of a search engine’s index. And if a website does not rank on the first page of Google it will not receive Web traffic. The good news: It can get to the top of Google free of charge by way of search engine optimization.
Follow these tips, and you’ll find your website commanding the highest-ranking position in the list created by the search engine Google.
What is Google and how does it work?
To get your website to the top of Google organic search you need to understand what it is and how it operates. Google is a program or information retrieval system. It defines itself as “search for information about (a person, place or thing) on the Internet using the search engine Google”.
The program works by searching for and identifying items in its database that match or are relevant to characters or keywords specified by a user, used primarily for locating hypertext documents connected to the World Wide Web. Google is said to rank a webpage in the list of organic results based on how relevant it is to a user’s specified keyword.
What makes a website relevant to a search query?
Google’s aim is to retrieve information that is closely connected or appropriate to a user’s web search query. To achieve this Google relies on its algorithm, which is a set of rules used to rank Web pages from a user’s query. The most relevant website will take precedence over all others in respect to rank. Subsequent pages will place after the number one position based on Google’s grading system.
There are over 200 ranking factors that makeup Google’s grading system. And a website that is best optimized for all of them will receive Google’s top spot. That leads us to the next question ‘how to optimize a website to score a high rank on Google?’.
How to optimize a website for Google?
Website optimization, also known as search engine optimization (SEO), is the process of tweaking or improving parts of a website so as to maximize the number of visitors it receives. Optimization ensures the site appears high on the list of organic search results returned by a search engine.
It’s important to note that most of Google’s 200+ ranking factors are top secret, but some are common knowledge. And the ranking factors that we are aware of are the most important ones. Follow these optimization strategies to get your website on Google first page:
- Pick a domain name. The domain name is your website’s identity on the Web. And it’s a top ranking signal that search engines consider when calculating its position in a particular hierarchy. To improve your chances at getting your website to be listed number one on Google choose a name that matches your target keyword(s). For example, if you wanted your site to attain high-rankings for the phrase ‘top of Google?’, you might want to register “http://www.topofgoogle.com.”
- Name the homepage. Name the homepage. The title tag or page title affects its rank because it’s the website’s principle page, subsequently, the homepage is the easiest page to get ranked high on Google. To get a top Google ranking, Title the page so as to accurately summarize the entire website. For example, if the website describes in what way or manner someone can come to have or hold the leading position on Google, consider tilting the page ‘how to get your website to the top of Google.’
- Include an introduction. The homepage is more than just a table of contents for the site, it serves as the introductory page too. Include a written preliminary presentation on the homepage that summarizes its title and the website as a whole. The written content should be keyword rich with your most significant targeted words appearing at the top of the page.
- Use heading tags. Google has stated that heading tags (<h1> <h2> headings) are one of the most important on-page ranking factors. Headings are titles at the top of a page or sections of a subject. Heading tags should be brief but descriptive and should contain one or two main keywords in it. If you’ve been wondering how to rank high in Google, this is one way to do it.
- Offer quality content and services. Always provide top-notch service, top-quality content or products. If you do this, your consumers will sometimes reward you with backlinks. A backlink is an incoming hyperlink from another website and getting a powerful one can automatically rank your site first for queries in Google.
These are the most important ranking factors according to Google. However, many of them are still not known. And while we can’t guarantee your website gets to the top of Google, we can promise it will reach a higher ranking position in a search query.
Google. “Search Engine Optimization Services.” SciVee (n.d.): n. pag. Web. <https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf>.
“Webmaster Guidelines.” Webmaster Guidelines – Search Console Help. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2017. <https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en>.